Tooth Replacement Services in Edmonton AB
Changing smiles and lives with tooth replacement options
More than four percent of Canadians aged 40 to 59 have no natural teeth, and the percentage jumps to about 22 for the 60 to 79 age group. Millions of others are missing at least one tooth. At South Central Dentistry, we can offer a range of tooth replacement options for our patients.
Why tooth loss matters
A missing tooth can have a profound impact on your appearance, speech, and digestion. Within just a few months, a gap can allow other teeth to shift out of position, creating crevices where bacteria flourish, leading to cavities, gum disease, and more tooth loss. Gum disease is linked to serious systemic health conditions such as heart attack and stroke, and diabetes.
Tooth replacement options
It is never too late to seek treatment! If you are missing a tooth or need an extraction, some of the options we offer include:
- Fixed dental bridge – This prosthetic holds up to three artificial teeth, anchored in place with dental crowns on either side of the gap. It cannot be taken out.
- Removable denture – A denture can replace one tooth or a whole arch. A traditional full denture is held in place by natural suction, while clips may be used to secure a partial denture.
- Dental implants – An implant is a tiny cylinder placed into the jawbone at the site of a missing tooth, replicating the root. It is topped with a porcelain crown as a stand-alone restoration.
- Implant-retained dentures – As few as four dental implants bring incredible stability to a full denture. Various attachment methods are available for removable or fixed prosthetics.
- Tissue grafting –Grafting is sometimes needed to correct problems caused by missing teeth. A soft tissue graft is used when gum recession has exposed the root of a tooth. A bone graft supplements jawbone for dental implant placement.