Gentle dental extractions in Edmonton, AB
Dr. Jerome Caouette and his team at South Central Dentistry in Edmonton, AB
strive to help you keep your natural teeth strong and healthy. However, there are situations when it is better for your oral or overall wellness
to have a tooth removed. We do our best to make dental extractions
non-traumatic and fast healing.
When should teeth be removed?
- Crowding – Extractions may avoid twisting and overlaps that spoil the look of your smile, and create nooks where tooth decay and gum disease take hold.
- Pulp infection – If decay or trauma is not addressed early, infection may become so severe that root canal therapy is not recommended.
- Risk of infection spreading to soft tissues, bone, or through the body.
- Periodontal disease – Advanced gum disease compromises ligaments and bone that hold teeth in place. They loosen and must come out.
- Breakage – If breakage or a fracture extends below the gum line, the tooth cannot be saved.
- In preparation for orthodontia or dentures.
- Wisdom teeth – Third molars may crowd healthy teeth or cause mouth pain. Some become impacted, not fully emerging from bone or soft tissue. Dr. Caouette handles most wisdom tooth extractions on site.
We use a scientific process for non-traumatic removal. The dentist talks with you in advance about the possibility of nitrous oxide (inhaled gas) or oral sedation to help you relax. Then, the area is thoroughly numbed. The tooth is loosened with a side to side movement, then lifted out. Large molars may be cut into several pieces for easier extraction.
You receive thorough aftercare instructions. Residual discomfort is usually managed easily with over the counter analgesics, and most patients return to normal eating within a few days.
care that helps you keep your teeth
, and gentle extractions
, call South Central Dentistry in Edmonton, AB at (780) 757-3723.